Sunday, March 10, 2013

Indian Tears and Sunshine Diamonds





Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks, New Mexico

Crystallized into eternity, black teardrops hold ancient memories of the land, generations of wind, dirt, and sand. Legend says the small black stones found in the Southwestern deserts are the remains of Apache tears, shed for grief and sorrow of their people. Legend also says those who find these teardrops never have to cry for grief again for the Apache have already shed those tears for us. 


I miss New Mexico, an expansive 
landscape of love and opportunity. I held on too tight, like sand gripped in my palm. Sifting through my fingers, the searing heat of my grip metamorphosed dusty dreams into a single teardrop, much like the Indian Tears found in the dusty lands of New Mexico.
Snow Lake, Washington

“Should you shield the canyons from the windstorms you would never see the true beauty of their carvings.” -
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross 

In Seattle, I have replaced that sand with water. Cold water. Lately it feels like my life dreams are like sunshine diamonds on the water... they shatter with a cold splash of reality! But water shapes and carves, whether we like it or not. Driftwood and stones, once plain, endure the long process of water carving. In the end, they become beautiful masterpieces of their own enduring. 


Somewhere in the vast desert are my tears. 

Somewhere in the future is a beautiful masterpiece I look forward to becoming.

Nothing is softer or more flexible than water, yet nothing can resist it. -Lao Tzu



Indian Tears Legend: http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/Apache_Tear_Drop-Apache.html

No comments:

Post a Comment